Tuesday 16 June 2015

1993: JURASSIC PARK Issue 1 (Dark Horse International)


From June 1993: the first issue of the British all-reprint edition of JURASSIC PARK.  

With JURASSIC WORLD smashing all sorts of box office records (who would have thought there was that much pent-up demand for another outing?), it seemed a good moment to go back into the vaults and pull out the first part of the adaptation of the original film from (ye gods) 22 years ago.

Topps Comics had the license but the short-lived Dark Horse International picked-up the UK rights.  Fortunately for them, Topps continued to publish a number of post-movie series totaling, based on my maths, twenty-nine individual issues. 

I'm not sure how long the UK edition survived (the Dark Horse wiki entry doesn't even mention their British expansion) but I do recall this stuck around long enough to reprint some of the US follow-ups. 

3 comments:

  1. I have up to issue 13. I have no idea if it lasted past that much as their is very little info on the series online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there Slow Robot. I know this might seem a little strange to receive a comment on a post from three years ago, but I do have a reason! Today is the 25th anniversary of #1 of Jurassic Park UK and to celebrate I've just written up a lengthy post about it on my own blog, The Oink! Blog and Beyond. It's the start of a new series where I'll be covering each monthly issue (there were 16) on the dates of their original releases and I thought you might like to have a read since you showed interest. I was searching online quite extensively for any further information on the British version of the comic but failed to find anything more than a quick video on YouTube of some of the covers, an occasional paragraph on Wiki-style pages and your own blog post here. So it appears there's very little known about this sadly forgotten title. Anyway, I hope you can nip over and have a look and please feel free to comment, always good to meet new fans! Phil

    http://the-oink-blog.blogspot.com/2018/06/jurassic-park-1-adapting-adaptation.html

    (Sorry if you got two notifications, I deleted my first comment because I forgot the link!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...