Monday 17 November 2014

1997: AREA 51 MAGAZINE Issue 1


Another blast from the magazine racks of the past: the first issue of SF collectables magazine AREA 51.

This first edition appeared in October 1997.

I was a regular buyer of this one and have a good run of issues in storage.  However, I'm not sure how long it lasted (several years I would think) nor do I remember it ever vanishing.  I guess it just faded away (or I stopped buying it... which seems unlikely).

The timing of the launch coincided with the late nineties nostalgia boom in Star Age SF, spawned in large part by the return of the STAR WARS saga to the big screen.  

The title, of course, references the top secret US military installation which (supposedly) houses captured alien tachnology and/ or other state-of-the-art hardware. 

3 comments:

  1. would love to see your other covers...hard to find images for this mag even online..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll see what I can do.

      They're tucked away in storage at the moment but I'll see if I can pull them out at some point. I've no idea if it is a complete run but it *might* be.

      Technically they fall outside (just) the STARLOGGED time frame but, because they cover merchandise connected to the Star Age, I think I can make an exception. Hehe. And it will be fun to look at them again as well.

      Delete
  2. please do and maybe you could scan some inside pages also...?....personally i dont limit myself to a time frame as with the space 1970 blog....I am super intrested in and passionate about any and ALL scifi mags and comics no matter which year they were published....maybe in the future you might even cover more recent genre mags such as the short-lived DEATHRAY

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...