Friday 5 April 2013

1981: SPACE CITY ARTICLE FROM SUPERMARIONATION IS GO! ISSUE 1

The late seventies/ early eighties saw Blackpool play host to two geek magnets: exhibitions devoted to DOCTOR WHO (shamelessly plugged by BBC continuity announcers... when they were still allowed to do that sort of thing) and the works of GERRY ANDERSON.

Both are long since defunct and neither seem to be particularly well chronicled despite their longevity.

That's why I've decided to run this fascinating three-page article (by editor David Nightingale) from the Anderson fanzine SUPERMARIONATION IS GO! issue 1 (Spring 1981).

I've published the cover in a previous post (here) but subsequently acquired a copy and found this article of particular historical note.

I think SPACE CITY shuttered sometime in the early eighties.  I never went myself (but did make the pilgrimage to Longleat, home of the 'other' Doctor Who exhibition, for the legendary 20th anniversary event) but I kinda wish I had.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...